Friday, January 8, 2010

Breast or Bottle?

How about both?! sort of...

Since Weston had lost so much weight in the hospital, enough, at least, to keep us in there an extra day, I have been fairly paranoid about his eating habits. I know these feelings are very common with new moms, but I have been incredibly anxious about whether or not he was getting enough to eat while breast feeding. Not only was I anxious about him eating, but how he was eating... breast feeding has been a big challenge with him. I do want him to be breast fed as long as possible, but knowing I have to go back to work, I've known he's going to be bottle fed at some point.

Luckily, though, I talked to a friend of mine the other night who recently had a baby of her own, and we talked about all the frustrations with breast feeding vs. bottle feeding. She is also a working mom-- another teacher-- and has gone back to work already, so she's been pumping too. Though she has been bottle feeding with breast milk since early on when her baby was having issues with breast feeding. So yesterday we tried going a full 24hours strictly bottle feeding breast milk. It was great! I had no anxiety about feedings with him... I have a better idea about how much he is actually getting, he stays awake for a whole feeding, Matt can feed him too, and he's sleeping much longer through the night! Hopefully this trend will continue!

Thank you so much Amber!

No comments:

Post a Comment