Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Afghan Love

There are 8 grandchildren on my mom's side of the family, and my Nana has made each of us an afghan. I'm not sure when it started, but she made them for us in order of birth, my sister Tracy got the first one. We chose our own colors, and for the most part, our pattern-- so each of ours is unique to our own personality. When Tracy started the great grandchildren line, Nana made afghans for each of her kids in succession-- but theirs are a little smaller since they are baby afghans.

Speaking of baby... (you must be seeing where I'm going with this)... I was surprised and amazed (to the point of tears, I do believe) when I opened a gift at my first shower from my Nana. It was my son's afghan. Thank you Nana... it's such a wonderful tradition and I am so blessed and honored that he has his place in it!

ps... each of our afghans also has our name tag stitched on the inside of one of the corners... both Martha and I looked for it when I opened the afghan.... but Nana is too smart for that! She does know the name, but only because she has already made his Christmas stocking-- another family tradition... I'll save that one for another blog.

My Nana and me
Our son's afghan fits in perfectly with his nursery

My afgan

Alan and his Hokie afghan

Laura's afghan

Claire's afghan

Sarah's afghan

Luke, as a baby, on Tracy's afghan

2 comments:

  1. I have already sent you an e-mail, but Susan is showing me how I can use the comment box the next time I have something to say. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anne! I love this post. My precious Gaga made all of us afghans, too. As well as Christmas tree skirts and many other things. She died a year before Brett & I got married. A couple of years before that I started to struggle with the idea to ask her in if she would make an afghan for my babies to come home form the hospital wrapped in. I didn't want to bring up the subject of her likely dying before my kids were born. I finally did ask, and she was flattered. I wrapped it in tissue and put it in my cedar chest for 7 years. When I packed my bag for the hospital while waiting for Lilly to be born, taking out that afghan and putting it in the suitcase was such a wonderful moment.

    ReplyDelete