Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grammar Rules


I grew up in a family that would stop at nothing to correct poor grammar.

She and I are going to the store. You're my favorite. I ate a lot of candy last night.

One of my biggest pet peeves (because I was always corrected for this) is the difference between nauseated and nauseous. Most people-- I'm sure, you do it too-- say, "I'm nauseous." Then you promptly head to the toilet and relieve yourself. HOWEVER-- what you should have said was, "I'm nauseated."

nauseated
feeling nausea, feeling about to vomit

nauseous
adjective
causing nausea, sickening, or nauseating

Yes, I know this is a gross topic to discuss, but it's something everyone should know. 'Cause talking good is real nice!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I wonder what brought this on? Could it have been an incident at the W hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot stand people who use the words 'monies' and 'persons'!!! Lots of money= MONEY. More than one person= PEOPLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That don't make no sense, Anne! I just feel like upchuckin'!

    ReplyDelete